Feb 26, 2018
Fishing, photography, hands free living your kinda thing?
If so, have you ever considered a pedal powered kayak?
The original purpose for pedal kayaks being for fishing and hands free enjoyment, they have seen two main manufacturers both from the US- Hobie and Native Watercraft.
Both of these brands have been on the market in Australia for a while but now there are new brands (hello!) with newer improved designs for a fraction of the cost!
Sounds good right?
Pedal Vs Paddle!
- Speed! It goes faster than paddle powered kayaks
- The speed gives force that easily surpasses wind and waves
- Hands free use means you can multi task. Sip a coffee, snap a selfie, cast a line! Do all three at once if you want, because you can! Youre only using your legs!
- Comfortable and adjustable seats for shorties and tallies
- A clutter free cockpit also means more room for those catches of the day!!
- Easy maneuvering
- Reduced splashing and noise
- Less physical exertion
Like most things, with some pro’s theres gotta be some cons. Heres what we think.
- Foot propulsion maintenance required
- Not suited for shallow waters
- Less storage
- Heavier than paddle kayaks
The key ingredient to the pedal kayak is obviously the pedal system! So whats there to know about them? Our pedal kayaks boast a carefully engineered system that weighs only 7kg and offers both forward and reverse functions!
For a Hobie branded pedal kayak you can look at forking out close to $5000!! kayaks here have one of the most competitive price points on the market at under $1500
Do you live rural? REALLY rural? TASMANIA!!? We have you covered with shipping all over Australia from just $129.
Pedal on people!